GPS: 45.523196° -122.670129°
White Satin was the brand of sugar produced by Amalgamated Sugar Company. This sugar-beet refining company is a cooperative that was based out of Boise Idaho and owned a sugar-beet facility in Nyssa, OR. Due to the success of the Nyssa plant, Amalgamated Sugar became interested in promoting White Satin Sugar in Oregon and Washington marketing it as “Oregon’s Own and Only.” In 1938 they opened an office in Portland. Amalgamated Sugar bought space atop of the Hirsch-Weis building at the west end of the Burnside Bridge. Nov 1940 the first version of the now classic sign was installed. The sign, according to the Oregonian 11-3-1940, “told its story in five separate changes, the purport of which is White Satin Sugar, Oregon’s Own and Only, animated by a pouring sugar stack.”
In 1957 the sign was changed to White Stag after the business that occupied the building.
1957 White Stag re-brands the sign with the stag. The owner‘s wife suggests adding a red nose to it at Christmas, this tradition that has remained throughout the rest of the re-branding. It was registered as a historic landmark in 1977.
The City of Portland acquired the sign in September 2010 and began paying the monthly fee of $2,000 to maintain and power it. Now they would like to see some of that money return in the form of licensing agreements.